The Miramar Police Department’s Traffic Unit’s primary goal is to promote the safe, expeditious flow of vehicular and pedestrian traffic within the city. This is accomplished by educating the public on traffic laws, by the fair and consistent enforcement of those laws, and with the help of traffic engineering. The services provided by this unit are designed to reduce traffic crashes and their resulting injuries.
Some of the responsibilities of the Traffic Unit are:
- Traffic crash investigation, to include traffic homicide and hit and run investigations.
- Selective traffic enforcement through the use of radar and laser speed measurement
- Enforcement of school zone speed restrictions
- DUI enforcement, to include conducting sobriety checkpoints
- Parking control and enforcement
- Traffic safety education
- Liaison with traffic safety groups
- Directed patrol related to traffic problems
- Traffic analysis
- Assistance at special events to include motorcycle escorts for visiting dignitaries