The City of Miramar was incorporated May 26, 1955. At the time of incorporation, the City had a population of less than 200 people. With approximately 2.9 square miles land area, Miramar's original city boundaries were: Southwest 64th Avenue on the east, University Drive on the west the Dade County Line on the south, and Pembroke Road on the north.
City's 1st Mayor & Councils
On June 20, 1955, the City's 1st Mayor and City council were sworn in, all of which were appointed by the Governor.
Robert Gordon, Mayor
Robert Anderson, Council Member
Stanley Beckerman, Council Member
James Crum, Council Member
Hyman Siegal, Council Member
They all served until January 1959, at which time the first municipal election was held. Robert Gordon, the 1st Mayor of the City, gave the City its name. “Miramar” means “Look at the Sea” in Spanish (Miramar was an exclusive suburb of Havana in pre-Castro Cuba). The City seal is inscribed with its motto “Beauty and Progress". Charles F. Knapp was the city’s 1st elected Mayor. He was sworn into office 1 month later.