Filing a Complaint

Steps to Filing a Complaint

  1. Contact the Internal Affairs Unit at 954-602-3843 or You may also contact any Police Department Supervisor or any Communications Desk Officer by calling 954-602-4000.
  2. Complete the Citizen Comment Form. It is preferred that the complainant directly involved in the allegation complete the form.
  3. The complainant will be contacted by the investigating supervisor or the Internal Affairs Unit. At this step the complainant may be requested to give sworn statements, produce any evidence of allegations and/or discuss the complaint.

Disposition of Complaint

All complaints are kept confidential and are not subject to public disclosure prior to the completion of the investigation. The results, or findings, have five different classifications:
  • Sustained: The allegation is true and the action of the officer was not consistent with policy.
  • Not Sustained: There is insufficient evidence to prove or refute the allegation.
  • Unfounded: Either the allegation is demonstrably false or there is no credible evidence to support it.
  • Exonerated: The allegation is true but the action of the member was consistent with policy.
  • Incomplete: The investigation could not be thoroughly or properly investigated.
  • Withdrawn: The complainant withdrew the allegation.